Emma Beverage

I started this site for my poetry but I can't stay away from sharing my political views, so this soup gets everything!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Network to STOP Corporate GREED

That did not work! So I shall continue. I’m sure it will strip the formatting out of this text too so I won’t bother to change it. I’m trying to figure out how to change the appearance on my blog so that it is more attractive. Therefore if my blog does not strip the formatting from this text that is okay also. (It stripped it)

Public Citizen sent me an article titled:
Fair Trade Activist Spotlight: Pat Carleton


I don’t want to be prosecuted for plagiarism so I will try to paraphrase their article.

Pat Carleton grew up in a working class town in Western Maine. He saw how corporate trade agreements affected his community as companies left town moving overseas. This contributed to Pat becoming an active union leader and a fair trade activist.

Pat is Executive Vice President of the United Steelworkers Local 4-9 at the SAPPI paper mill in Skowhegan, Maine. He is the coordinator of his union’s rapid response team and the contract action team. The article goes on to detail other organizations that he is involved in that work for fair trade policies.

My readers would be well served to subscribe to this magazine as this organization is working to keep us better informed.

Go to Public Citizen and read all about Pat Carleton.

Public Citizen gave their readers a place to express their appreciation to Pat. I did take advantage of that and thought that I would share what I wrote to him. I am hoping to inspire everyone to start networking and get the facts. Why do you think corporations are so powerful? Networking is the KEY!

January 19, 2006

Dear Pat Carleton,

Thank you for fighting for good jobs and fair trade!

I’m interested in trying to get my Governor to demand protection for our state from the GATS and I’d love tips on getting started.

I believe that all the abuses by the big “money-ed” interests in this world are interconnected. These corporations do not act in a vacuum. When one big company comes up with an idea that increases their profit margin the other big boys fall in line and follow suit. They seem to be doing this all over this planet without a thought as to how it abuses and exploits you and me.

Fifteen years ago they passed some kind of laws that allowed the trucking industry to go from forcing drivers to work eighteen hours a day to expecting drivers to never stop and never take the time to shower. I'm not sure what the laws were but I think it had something to do with deregulation. I'm sure it also had some connection to the fact that Wal-Mart and other big companies like Wal-Mart started demanding "Just-in-time" delivery. I always felt that it was wrong to push the drivers the way they did but when they took away our right to “own enough of our own lives” to be able to stop and take a shower, I started fighting back. I refused to cooperate every time I thought that I could get by with it. It took them fifteen years and Mother Nature had to help them by slowing my reaction time, dimming my eyes, dulling my sense of direction and causing my short term memory to occasionally short out in order for them to get me backed into a corner where they could blackball me. They did eventually take my 35 year career in trucking away from me. My sin was that as I got older and slower I also became braver until I eventually just refused to break the law for the trucking industry. I am working on a book to expose how they force drivers to break the law in order to keep their jobs. I have started a blogspot where I can share some of my thoughts about all of this. I am keeping the best stories for my book but you might want to help me get the word out by directing people to read my blog at www.emmabeverage.blogspot.com. I can say thank you for your bravery because I know, first hand, just how brave you must be to stand up to the status quo. I believe that this country can continue being a free country only as long as individuals can find the courage to stand up for their constitutional rights.

Keep up the good fight,
Emma Beverage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home