Emma Beverage

I started this site for my poetry but I can't stay away from sharing my political views, so this soup gets everything!

Friday, July 08, 2005

Do Not Forsake Me

9/25/04

Why have you forsaken me?
In this my hour of greatest need?
I thought that I could depend
upon your strength to bring me in
to your shores of peace,
abundance and sisterhood at last.
But all I’ve seen is my youth, slip into the past.

Here I stand, all alone
I’ve fought for you, in the face of wrong.
I’ve spoken up. I stood for right.
Learned to hold my own and still not fight.
been betrayed by friends, strangers and family too.
Still, I trusted in only you.

Here I stand broken and alone.
I’ve lost it all. I have no home.
I’m wounded and can hardly stand.
Where is your guiding hand?

I’ve been lied about, ripped apart
hyenas have eaten my heart.
My tortured body is about to be thrown
Into the streets, over the cliff, into the abyss.
Oh, where is my home of bliss?

If miracles you do perform
where are your arms to keep me warm?
Now is the time, It is do or die.
I’ve taken this as far as I can take it.
I have no more strength, don’t think that I can make it.
Great Spirit, do not forsake me now.
I cry out for you to save me, somehow!

I have trusted you to the bitter end.
Where are my wings? Why can’t I fly?
Where is my safety net? Shall I die?
Help me turn my world around.
Give me the strength to hold on,
for the splendor of a new dawn.
Please do not forsake me.